Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Why I Write About Mental Health

Because it's stigmatized, and needs to not be.

Because it's real.

Because it's ignored.

Because I've been there.

Because it's scary when you don't understand it.

Because it's much less scary when you do.

Because it can be life-threatening.

Because I wish I'd known more about it when I was younger.

Because I wish my family had known more.

Because there are people spreading unhelpful, sometimes harmful information on the internet and I want to combat it.

Because other people being vulnerable online has helped me and been immensely comforting.

Because everyone deals with it, whether they like it or not.

Because people hate it.

Because it is at the root of many people's disdain and sometimes hatred of life.

Because emotions are part of being a living human.

Because our culture seems to actively have a problem with that.

Because emotions that are stuffed away NEVER EVER REALLY DISAPPEAR. EVER. Ever. They just create very ugly problems down the road.

Because if my writing about it helps someone get the help they need, it's seriously so worth it.

Because the system is f**ked up and I have something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment